recent blog posts.
 
esprit – “fit – fitness & health.”

I love to exercise! Especially in the mornings, it’s the one thing I can do for myself before the planned and unknown things of the day take over. It wakes me up and gives me a huge boost. I run, started back in high school with 1-mile a day (17 laps around at the YMCA), I’ve since done a few 5K’s and one marathon! On average I run 10-15 miles per week. Yoga and spin in between. I love it, it’s very much a lifestyle…and that’s the point. I use the Nike Running App on my phone and post some of my scenic routes on Instagram: msstacylloyd

Adults need at least 30 minutes of physical activity most days of the week (5-6 days). It can also be a stress reliever among other health benefits.
Children should get 60 minutes every day or most days.
• Exercise with your family, take a walk or play together
• Make a gym at home. Replace a stair machine, use real stairs instead & cans of food as weights
• Keep moving, limit TV, computer & video games

    light exercise.
    • Cleaning the house
    • Office work
    • Playing baseball
    • Playing Golf

    moderate exercise.
    • Walking briskly
    • Gardening
    • Cycling
    • Dancing
    • Playing basketball

    strenuous exercise.
    • Jogging
    • Playing football
    • Swimming

    very strenuous exercise.
    • Running
    • Racquetball
    • Skiing

EAT:

 

There are some basic truths to eating properly. I mean the whole intention for food is nourishment, to fuel us to keep going throughout the day. I’m no expert, you can Google or log onto WebMD, better yet consult your physician for a plan to be healthy…I just follow a few basic principles…

 

Eat Food in its raw form. NO processed food. Fruits and Vegetables, Protein and Grains are essential. I eat anything that’s going to help push the food down, so salad, grainy oatmeal or dry cereal, granola, veggies & fruits. Sometimes I go days without meat! I exercise pretty heavy and run round like crazy so that’s proof that you don’t have to consume lots of meat to fuel your body.

 

I don’t spend a lot on food either, it’s just going to end up being “waste” anyway. Why waste my money on waste?! So I’m not much of a fancy dinner kind of chick, not with my money (Ha!). Again, it’s about my body getting the nourishment it needs from the food…not about quenching my hunger by filling my stomach up.

 

  • Meal Timing
  • Low Carb Dinner
  • 200mg or less of caffeine, watch your coffee & pop intake
  • Daily Sodium Intake between 1,500-2,500
  • Avoiding artificial sweeteners and preservatives
  • Build Muscle…cause muscle burns FAT!
  • Cheat Meals 80-20 Rule, eat good 80% and give yourself a break the other 20%
  • Alcohol shuts down fat burning by 75% for 24 hours, “turn down for what?” uh those extra pounds you just might be gaining in the next 24-hours

 

Change Eating Habits Gradually

Start small, once you’ve been successful for a week or more add another healthy habit. Don’t diet, change your lifestyle…it last longer. Dieting has an end date and you can’t put an end date on living healthy!

 

Eating Plenty of Fruits & Veggies

Try to eat five to nine servings a day. Bright, colorful fruits and veggies are rich in nutrients, eat different colors.

 

Avoid Trans Fats and Saturated Fats

Trans and Saturated Fats are found in Margarine, fried foods, and many packaged foods, read labels.  Use oil in moderation and use olive, canola or flaxseed oil.

 

Eat Beans, Nuts, Fish or Lean Poultry instead of RED Meat

Red Meat contains Saturated Fat so get your protein from other sources and limit red meat to twice a month.  You should eat two or three servings of protein per day.

 

Stick to Reduced Fat or Fat-Free Dairy Products

Many sources of calcium have a high fat content so by eating two to three servings of fat-free milk, yogurt or cheese each day, you’ll get the calcium and protein you need without the unwanted Saturated Fat.

 

Choose Whole, Unprocessed Grains

Eat brown rice instead of white. Pick whole grain cereal instead of flaked or puffed cereal.  Whole Grains provide fiber, minerals, and complex carbohydrates.

 

Eat Sugary, Salty, or High-Fat Snacks in Moderation

ONLY if you eat good and healthy 80 percent of the time then 20-percent/the occasional treat won’t hurt you…80-20 Rule.

 

Meal Balance:

Lean meats, healthy fats and low glycemic carbohydrates

 

Lean Meats: Chicken, Turkey (Turkey Bacon and Turkey Sausage), Pork Tenderloin, Sirloin and Flat Iron Steak/Burger

 

Healthy Fats: Macadamia Nut Oil, Olive Oil Canola Oil, Avocados, Fish, Safflower Oil, Peanut Oil, and Sesame Oil